5.15.2013

WIP Wed: City Sampler

This week I have been swamped with reading for school (good thing my other favorite hobby besides sewing is reading) but I have managed to take a break every now and then to spend some time at the sewing machine. I find that when I take time for myself I am much more productive in my studies. 


I decided to sew up a few city sampler blocks. At first I wasn't sure if I would like piecing these blocks because they are so tiny (they finish at 6x6) compared to the 10-12 inch blocks I usually sew. However, I was overjoyed to discover that sewing these together has been cathartic and actually relaxing.


On Saturday I am going to a sewing retreat with some of my local sewing friends for the day and I hope to get a lot more finished on this, plus get some work done (aka finish cutting and start piecing) on a star quilt I'm working on. I also want to do some work on a few patterns I'm writing. Oh and I want to sew 2 bags too. Hmm...I wonder if I should prioritize my projects??

I'm linking up to Lee's series over at freshly pieced. Be sure to check it out to see what other projects people have been up to this week.

15 comments:

Melissa said...

Your blocks are great! I love how bright and cheery your fabrics are! Glad you are still finding time to sew, that is important :)

Windsor and Main said...

Thanks for coming over to Windsor and Main today! That was super sweet! One of my boys loves Pandas and wants to know why my blog doesn't have a cool Panda name like yours! I love your color choice, and I followed you on bloglovin', can't wait to see what your up to in the future! Kim :)

Aoife said...

Your fabric choices for the city sampler are stunning. I can't stop looking at them! The sewing retreat sounds like so much fun, enjoy it!

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said...

Loving this brightness!! And I can totally relate to break-taking making studying more productive (though I'm happy to say I've officially ready my last casebook and now just have to get past the bar... eep! I hope the same logic applies otherwise this summer will be complete misery!)

Marta S. said...

I want to do this sampler! I've got the book in my Amazon shopping cart, waiting for a couple more items before I submit the order. Your blocks look fabulous.

Anonymous said...

I just borrowed this book from a friend and it had been sitting on my coffee table, unopened. I am now going to work through it and pick some blocks to do. Your beautiful blocks are so inspirational.

Clare Mansell said...

I love this quilt and the colours you have chosen are brilliant. It reminds me a little of nautical flags.

Julie said...

These are so fun! I'm loving the bright colors for these blocks!

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Wow, I love the colours you have chosen for these blocks!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors you used...I plan to start the sew along on Monday - these are inspirational :-)

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Wonderful! I just purchased the book and plan to join the QAL! Love the modern blocks and your colors are great!

nicole said...

Your fabric choices are just gorgeous, love your blocks!

Kelly said...

Love your fabric picks - it is going to be a fab sampler.

Patricia Lessell said...

Your blocks are GREAT! As soon as our grandchildren go home I am so going upstairs to stitch some of these too!!!

Cloud CouCou said...

These are yummy! Can you tell me what the yellow and pink fabrics are? I can tell one's pearl bracelets..is it meyer lemon? I waste hours searching for the right colours, but these are perfect.